Meeting Minutes September 2022
- The Shipmates monthly meeting of FRA Branch 208, Jacksonville NC was called to order at 1830 on 13 September 2022 by Shipmate President Raymond Applewhite.
- The Pledge of Allegiance, Opening Prayer and Preamble to the FRA Constitution were recited by all present.
- The following S/M’s were present: Lou Alers
Raymond Applewhite – President
Timothy Manchester – PAO
Paul H. Miethker – Secretary
Omar M. Myers
Alexander Nevgloski – Chaplain
The following guests were present:
- NEW SHIPMATES N/A
- The minutes of the 9 August 2022 meeting were accepted.
- FINANCIAL REPORT. Approved pending audit.
a. S/M Secretary Miethker indicated the Branch received the following:
(1) List of paid S/M’s for Sep 2022 from National HQ.
(2) List of deceased S/M’s for Sep 2022 from National HQ
(3) Letter from the Salvation Army requesting a monetary donation..
(4) Letter from Special Olympics, North Carolina requesting a monetary donation.
- OLD BUSINESS a. The Branch, Coffee-With-A-Cop Program will continue this year with a date to be determined. b. BOD meeting rescheduled to 11 October 2022 at 1700 at the DAV Building c. S/M President Applewhite reported on the SECNAV Retiree Council meeting.
- NEW BUSINESS
a. S//M Secretary Miethker brought up the numerous requests for monetary donations.
The Branch voted not to donate.
b. S/M President Applewhite reported on S/M’s that are ill.
c. There was a discussion about the amount of money in the Branch savings account and the
Branch CD’s, and what would happen to the money if the Branch was to fold. The Branch Budget will be discussed at the BOD meeting on 11 Oct 22.
d. The NCOA is selling Korean Vietnam War Medallions for presentation to veterans that
served in either conflict. Price will be announced soon.
e. The Branch Road Side Clean-up is re-scheduled for 17 September 2022 at 0730.
f. Shipmate Levesque informed Branch that meeting with Congressman Murphy would have to be structed to be successful.
g. The Branch’s nomination for Veteran of the Year is due in October 2022.
h. The Branch received the Annual Americanism Essay Contest forms for 2022. S/M Nevgloski and Grey will co-chair again this year.
- GOOD OF THE ORDER.
a. First Saturday of the Month: Reading of the North Carolina POW/MIA Names, Vietnam
Memorial, Lejeune Memorial Gardens at 1200.
b. COVID-19 immunizations are being given by appointment only at the Onslow County Senior Center on NC 258. You will need to call for an appointment 910–353-5999.
c. COVID-19 immunizations onboard Camp Lejeune for Retirees and Military Dependents are at the NMCCL Immunization clinic, no appointment required from 0700-1500 Monday – Friday.
d. USO is closed until further notice for major repairs.
e. POW/MIA Recognition Ceremony, Lejeune Memorial Gardens, 16 Sep 22 at 1830.
f. Retired Appreciation Day, Marston Pavilion 24 Sep 22, 1000-1400. The Branch will set up a table.
g. Corpsman Memorial Dedication scheduled for 12 Oct 22 at 1000.
h. Retiree Ball, Marston Pavilion, 5 November 2022, $55.00 per person.
i. Veterans Day Parade, 5 November 2022.
j. S/M Omar Stevenson thank the Branch for the cards over the last year.
- TWO BELL CEREMONY N/A
- There being no further business, a motion was made to adjourn. The Closing Prayer was recited and honors rendered to the American Flag. The meeting was adjourned at 1920. The next meeting will be held on 11 October 2022 at the DAV Building at 1830.
Paul H. Miethker