Meeting Minutes October 2023
FLEET RESERVE ASSOCIATION, BRANCH 208
1. The Shipmates monthly meeting of FRA Branch 208, Jacksonville NC was called to order at 1830 on 10 October 2023 by Shipmate President Raymond Applewhite.
2. The Pledge of Allegiance, Opening Prayer and Preamble to the FRA Constitution was recited by all present.
3. The following Shipmates were present:
Raymond Applewhite – President
James Hill – Treasurer
Paul H. Miethker – Secretary
Alexander Nevgloski – Chaplain
The following guests were present:
4. NEW SHIPMATES
5. The minutes of the 12 September 2023 meeting were accepted.
6. FINANCIAL REPORT.
Approved Pending Audit
a. S/M Secretary Miethker indicated the Branch received the following:
(1) List of paid S/M’s for Oct 23 from National HQ.
(2) List of deceased S/M’s for Oct 23 from National HQ
(3) Letter from the Salvation Army requesting a monetary donation.
(4) Letter from Special Olympics, North Carolina requesting a monetary donation.
(5) Letter for the City of Jacksonville requesting the Branch Veteran of the Year for 2023.
8. OLD BUSINESS
a. The Branch, Coffee-With-A-Cop Program will continue with the Branch bringing refreshments and coffee to the various police stations selected.
b. The Branch appreciation letter for the MCB Commissary will be presented soon. We are
waiting to hear back from the commissary on a good day to present the letter
c. S/M President Applewhite thanked the S/M’s who attended the Branch plaque installation
at the Vietnam Memorial on 18 Sep 23.
9. NEW BUSINESS
a. S//M Secretary Miethker brought up the numerous requests for monetary donation.
The Branch voted not to donate.
b. S/M President Applewhite reported on S/M’s that are ill.
c. The-By Laws meeting will be held at a future date to be determined.
d. FRA National Convention, Reno, NV, Sep 23. ECRP will be the Branch proxy.
e. S/M President Applewhite is arranging dates to present the annual Branch donations to
the USO, Christmas Cheer, Salvation Army, and the Onslow County Soap Kitchen.
f. The Branch will hold the Annual Holiday Dinner on 12 Dec 23 at 1800, at the
Jacksonville Golden Corral.
10. GOOD OF THE ORDER.
a. First Saturday of the Month: Reading of the North Carolina POW/MIA Names, Vietnam
Memorial, Lejeune Memorial Gardens at 1200.
b. USN 247th birthday, 13 Oct 23.
c. Jacksonville Veterans Day parade, 1000, 4 Nov 23, Coastal Carolina Community College.
d. Retiree Ball, Marston Pavilion 11 Nov 23, @ 1800.
e. Congressman Murphy is conducting a Veteran History Project. Contact his office if you
f. The Carolina Museum of the Marines groundbreaking scheduled Jan – Mar 2024.
11. TWO BELL CEREMONY
12. A cake cutting ceremony was held the 247th Navy birthday at the conclusion of the meeting. There being no further business, a motion was made to adjourn. The Closing Prayer was recited and honors rendered to the American Flag. The meeting was adjourned at 1920. The next meeting will be held on 14 November 2023 at 1830 at the DAV Building.
Paul H. Miethker