Meeting Minutes August 2023
- The Shipmates monthly meeting of FRA Branch 208, Jacksonville NC was called to order at 1830 on 8 August 2023 by Shipmate President Raymond Applewhite.
- The Pledge of Allegiance, Opening Prayer and Preamble to the FRA Constitution were recited by all present.
- The following Shipmates were present: Raymond Applewhite – President
James Hill – Treasurer
Paul H. Miethker – Secretary
The following guests were present:
- NEW SHIPMATES N/A
- The minutes of the 11 July 2023 meeting were accepted.
6. FINANCIAL REPORT.
Approved Pending Audit
a. S/M Secretary Miethker indicated the Branch received the following:
(1) List of paid S/M’s for Aug 23 from National HQ.
(2) List of deceased S/M’s for Aug 23 from National HQ
(3) Letter from the Salvation Army requesting a monetary donation.
(4) Letter from Special Olympics, North Carolina requesting a monetary donation.
- OLD BUSINESS
a. The Branch, Coffee-With-A-Cop Program will continue with the Branch bringing refreshments and coffee to the various police stations selected.
b. The Branch appreciation letter for the MCB Commissary will be presented soon. We are waiting to hear back from the commissary on a good day to present the letter
9. NEW BUSINESS
a. S//M Secretary Miethker brought up the numerous requests for monetary donation.
The Branch voted not to donate.
b. S/M President Applewhite reported on S/M’s that are ill.
c. S/M President Applewhite will inform the Branch of the date for the plaque installation at
the Vietnam Memorial, Lejeune Gardens.
d. The-By Laws meeting will be held at a future date to be determined.
e. FRA National Convention, Reno, NV Sep 23. ECRP will be the Branch proxy.
f. S/M Secretary Miethker will place an order for new Branch shirts.
- GOOD OF THE ORDER.
a. First Saturday of the Month: Reading of the North Carolina POW/MIA Names, Vietnam
Memorial, Lejeune Memorial Gardens at 1200.
b. USO location at the Onslow County Airport will close 26 Aug 23.
c. 9/11 Remembrance Ceremony, Lejeune Memorial Gardens, 11 Sep 23 @ 0815
d. USO open house, 417 L St, MCB, @ 1400-1600
e. MCB Camp Lejeune Retiree Appreciation Day, 23 Sep 23, Marston Pavilion, 0900-1400.
f. Retiree Ball, Marston Pavilion 11 Nov 23, @ 1800.
g. Congressman Murphy is conducting a Veteran History Project. Contact his office if you
h. PACT Act claims can still be filed, however, the 9 August deadline was put in place for retroactive date for claimants. Claims can still be filed after 9 August.
i. The NMCL Town Hall meeting was well attended.
- TWO BELL CEREMONY N/A
- S./M President Applewhite was presented with a Recruiting Award for recruiting three new members recently. There being no further business, a motion was made to adjourn. The Closing Prayer was recited and honors rendered to the American Flag. The meeting was adjourned at 1920. The next meeting will be held on 12 September 2023 at 1830 at the DAV Building.
Paul H. Miethker